Creating a Message board using ASP and an SQL data

Thread: Creating a Message board using ASP and an SQL data

Kevin Guest

Default Creating a Message board using ASP and an SQL data

Hi,<BR><BR>I&#039ve been trying to build a discussion board using ASP and SQL Server. I need to build one from scratch since different groups of users are required to only see messages posted by members of their group and there will be a central group where all messages are shown.<BR><BR>I&#039ve got one key problem: How to get the message threads sorted into the correct order for display. I can see that each "level" of reply could go into a separate field in the DB table, and then get the DB Server to sort using ORDER BY. Or, I thought I could sort the message threads (eg 1,3,6) (which are stored in one DB field) in the application level.<BR><BR>Neither of these solutions seems very good.<BR><BR>Has anyone got any ideas?<BR><BR>(PS - I don&#039t want to write the Discussion TOC to a static file because of the need to split the messages by user group)<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>Kevin<BR>Birmingham<B R>UK

Default Addicted to work

Well,<BR><BR>oddly enough, i am on the tail end of my boards in asp and sql server. <BR><BR>I can&#039t give code because of the intellectual rights but <BR>use a "sequence" number so as new message get put in, they are assigned a sequence number, new messages get sequence 1, and replys get the sequence number after them. There is quite a bit more, but thats the ordering solution i have used, its binary, the records have predetermined sort. It works great and seems to have some speed. <BR><BR>skol`