ASP and Printing

Thread: ASP and Printing

Mark Turkel Guest

Default ASP and Printing

Hi,<BR>I was hoping someone could post an example of how to send formatted data to a printer -- ie. I need to fill in a document (like a mail-merge) and have the page print. It will be longer than 1 page, and I will need to send a formfeed between letters....I need this to occur on the client machine, not the server.<BR><BR>Any help would be really appreciated. You can contact me directly at<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Mark<BR>

Default RE: ASP and Printing

I would check out WSH to accomplish this.

Steve Cimino Guest

You can&#039t directly call the printer on the client. Why? What if I send 8 pages of advertisements to your printer without your permission... using your paper... using your ink.<BR><BR>You can call the print dialog box on NN4+ and IE5+ by using window.print()<BR><BR>Making page breaks are a bit tougher though. You have to use a style with an HTML tag(I use the marquee tag, since I never use it in any pages). Basically, you&#039ll want to set the page break after this tag. Seach for this info, because I can&#039t remember all of it off the top of my head, and I don&#039t want to steer you in the wrong direction.

Los Angeles, CA

Default A word of caution

Like Steve mentioned window.print will not work in IE 4 so it would not be wise if is an intERnet application since even now a lot of people use IE 4

BalletChick Guest

I have faced similar requirements in the past. I found that by far the easiest and most professional solution was to format and send the results as a PDF to the client. That way you have EXACT control over spacing, formfeeds, typefaces/sizes, graphics, etc. <BR><BR>HOWEVER, you will still have to allow the actual PRINTING of the document to be controlled/initiated by the user... UNLESS you are willing to create a custom app for the client side (which is what I did). :)<BR><BR>Hope this helps!<BR><BR>