ASP disallowing Action Queries to Access DB

Thread: ASP disallowing Action Queries to Access DB

Default ASP disallowing Action Queries to Access DB

...Crossposted from ASP Q&A, apologies in advance. i thought it might be more germane in the Databases forum (which i didn&#039t notice till i&#039d already posted it).<BR><BR>---------<BR>Hi. Any help here would be great. I&#039ve searched about half a dozen sites so far for any clues to this problem, and so far have found nothing, so i&#039m desperate here. :)<BR><BR>I am using ASP to connect to an Access Database located on my server, i.e.:<BR><BR>Set Conntemp = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>Conntem p.Open "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=&#060;my database here&#062;<BR><BR>Later on, i am trying to execute the following statement:<BR><BR>Conntemp.Execute("DELETE * from new_table")<BR><BR>When i try to run that line, i get the following error:<BR><BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error &#039 80004005&#039 <BR><BR>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Could not delete from specified tables. <BR><BR>...I don&#039t have any sort of user login or password set up for the Access database, it&#039s simply resident on the server. I can select rows from it just fine using the same connection string. It does not change the error message whether i use "DELETE * FROM" or "DELETE FROM". The "DELETE" query is syntactically correct, it checks out (and runs OK) directly from MS Access.<BR><BR>Along the same vein, i cannot run UPDATE or INSERT statements, so it&#039s not just DELETEs that i&#039m having trouble with.<BR><BR>Any ideas? A thousand thanks...<BR><BR>Ryan <BR>

Scott S Guest

Default RE: ASP disallowing Action Queries to Access DB

Check the file permissions on the directory in which the database resides. If the user account you are using (IUSR_MACHINENAME) has read only permissions on the database then You&#039ll get that type of error. Also open up the database & manually add, delete, & update records if you can&#039t do that when access is open (as in not going through ASP) then you know its not an ASP problem. I would suspect it&#039s your file permissions thats the most probable culprit. Hope that helps<BR><BR>Scott S