sams book question, chapter 15 databases

Thread: sams book question, chapter 15 databases

Default sams book question, chapter 15 databases

ive set up pws on my w98se machine and have had no problems with any of the other examples in the book, but i cannot get the dsn-less connection listing 15.1 to work. i keep getting this error:<BR><BR>Microsoft VBScript runtime error &#039 800a01ad&#039 <BR><BR>ActiveX component can&#039t create object <BR><BR>/displa~1.asp, line 8<BR><BR>i have no clue what to do and im pretty stumped, can someone help please.<BR><BR>thanks<BR>colin<BR> <BR><BR>

Rady Guest

Default RE: sams book question, chapter 15 databases

Are you sure you have ActiveX Data Objects in your Machine.<BR>This error happens due to the following three conditions<BR><BR>1. the specified DLL missing in the system<BR>2. Not in the System Directory<BR>3. Security Permissions<BR><BR>In your case, 3rd option can be tottaly eliminated as you are working on Windows 98. The second option doesnot stand a chance as ADo installation always installs the dll in the system directory.<BR>Hence the only solution i can give is , either you donot have ADO in your machine or, its an old version or it might have got corrupted.<BR><BR>Solution:<BR>Reinstall MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components)<BR>

Default RE: sams book question, chapter 15 databases

One *REALLY* suspicious thing is the name of the ASP file being displayed. Looks like you are getting an 8.3 character name limitation in there somewhere.<BR><BR>However...<BR><BR>Let me go grab my copy of the SAMs book and look in chapter 15 and...<BR><BR>Oh, darn. I can&#039t find chapter 15.<BR><BR>Heck, I can&#039t even find my copy of the book.<BR><BR>(I wonder if that&#039s because I haven&#039t bought it?)<BR><BR>Okay, okay...I&#039ll stop being a smartass. But I&#039ll give the standard answer to a question like yours:<BR><BR>SHOW THE CODE. You can&#039t presume that we all either have the book or are clairvoyant. So show the *least* 10 lines before and after the line with the error and clearly indicate which line has the error.<BR><BR>Okay?<BR><BR>The error message is probably telling you the truth (most MS error messages don&#039t lie a lot), but without seeing *what* it is complaining about...<BR><BR>