Upsizing from Access to SQL Server

Thread: Upsizing from Access to SQL Server

Jim Benton Guest

Default Upsizing from Access to SQL Server

I run a web site that uses Access heavily and need to upsize to SQL Server. The site is on a remote host and the hosting company already provides sql server as part of the fee.<BR><BR>My question is how do I upsize my Access Database to SQL Server from my remote desktop computer? I already downloaded the Upsizing Wizard from Microsoft but it appears I have to have SQL Server installed on my computer to do the upsizing. Before I buy a full copy of SQL Server and install their desktop version I figured their might be a less expensive and/or resource intensive way to do this. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.<BR><BR>Jim Benton<BR>jbenton@jbweb.com

Shawn Clabough Guest

Default RE: Upsizing from Access to SQL Server

I haven&#039t used the upsizing wizard in a while, but if I remember correctly, you should be able to create an ODBC connection on the local machine that points to the SQL server, or specify the remote SQL server in the upsizing wizard. A local copy of SQL server is unnecessary.

Jim Benton Guest

Default RE: Upsizing from Access to SQL Server

Thanks for your help Shawn. I have SQL Server Client Configuration Utility set up on my computer and I will try to make a connection to the remote host as soon as they set up a system dsn for me.