SELECT or SELECT DISTINCTROW?

Thread: SELECT or SELECT DISTINCTROW?

Zola Guest

Default SELECT or SELECT DISTINCTROW?

Hi,<BR><BR>I have made an Access database and normalized it to the 3rd degree so there are no field duplicates. The tables are joined by ID number, and the "enforce referential integrity" option is checked.<BR><BR>If I am calling a recordset that spans several tables, and identify which entry by username and password from one table, will "SELECT" automatically bring the related data from the other tables?<BR><BR>I have checked my SQL book and am under the impression that SELECT DISTINCT is used more in the case of having duplicate entries in the SELECTed table, which doesn&#039t apply here as duplicate usernames are not allowed. Am I understanding the command?<BR><BR>TIA <BR><BR>Zola

Default RE: SELECT or SELECT DISTINCTROW?

What DISTINCT does, is if there is a duplicate in ALL of the columns you specified to be returned, then, only one instance of the duplicates is returned.<BR><BR>If you know that no duplicates will be returned, then SELECT should work fine. If you find out that when you display your results, there are multiple instances of what appear to be the same record, throw in the DISTINCT keyword.<BR><BR>Does this make any sense? :) Happy Programming!

Zola Guest

Default RE: SELECT or SELECT DISTINCTROW?

I think so. =) Thanks