Trying to find tables...

Thread: Trying to find tables...

Default Trying to find tables...

Hello,<BR><BR>I&#039ve got a database with ODBC-name: Database (how original..)<BR>In this database are 3 tables:<BR>Friends_tbl<BR>Family_tbl<BR>Pets_tbl<B R><BR>Is there a way I can search through the database, and get the 3 names of the tables back? So no search within a table, but a search within the database itself.. <BR>Who can help me with my quest for the tablenames? I really need it...<BR><BR><BR>If anyone knows the answer to this one... PLEASE! <BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR> <BR>

Susanne Guest

Default RE: Trying to find tables...

It depends what database you are using. Oracle has a dba_tables which you can query to return all tables in a database.<BR><BR>ie. Select * from dba_tables<BR><BR>MS SQL 7.0 has the following to show user defined tables:<BR><BR>SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES WHERE table_type = &#039BASE TABLE&#039<BR><BR><BR>Hope this helps<BR>Susanne

Default RE: Trying to find tables...

Susanne,<BR><BR>First of all, many thanks for your quick reply!<BR>Well, the database I&#039m using is ACCESS.... I have to admit I&#039m not such a wizzkid with databases (which shows... :) ). The expression you gave for SQL 7.0 does something, but not exactly what I was hoping for. It&#039s searching for <BR>C:information_schema.mdb Of course, I can make this database, but what should I do with it then? Make a table or query called tables in which I define all the tables I&#039m searching for, isn&#039t really the thing I&#039m looking for.. <BR><BR>Can you help this Databaseloser in distress??