Thread: COM

Terrance Olivier Guest

Default COM

Hi<BR><BR>They talk about it in the books, they say CreateObject makes objects be created through it, they talked about it on the forum with regard to using it to code ASP forums a lot better, but...<BR><BR>...what is it exactly ?<BR><BR>Thank You<BR>Terrance

Munish Guest

Default RE: COM

see basically when we say CreateObject we are creating an instance of a component.A component is compiled code written in a language such as visual basic or visual c++ or delphi etc.. For example when u create a database connection in asp u say CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>here we are creating an instance of the component which is used to make a connection to the in this case ADODB is the project name whereas Connection is the class name...for example<BR>we could have CreateObject("ProjectName.ClassName")....a good book to refer is asp components written by shelly powers<BR><BR>Components are based on the COM specification, COM is a binary specification and is language independent hence it does not matter in which language we quote our COM components as long as they are compliant with the COM specifications...components are used to seperate business logic thus creating n-tier applications

Terrance Olivier Guest

Thx for your response Munish...<BR><BR>If COM is a binary spec does it not logically make the components also cross-platform compatible ? If so does this mean that the same components built using the same spec albiet in a different language will have the same properties and results fro a particular outcome ?<BR><BR>E.G. PHP (or any other technology) components (if coded using the same binary spec) would act the same as the ASP components.<BR><BR>Terrance <BR> <BR>

Munish Guest

regarding cross platform compatibility-----a component coded in visual basic will not work on a linux platform....however a component coded in c or c++ or java may work...i am a bit rusty i have to confirm this....<BR>in response to ur other COM is a binary spec.. yes components can be coded in any language to achieve the desired functionality...beginners generally prefer visual basic...however...lot of core component development is done in VC++

hi guys,<BR><BR>i would like to add something to ur discussion. i dont know exactly whether its correct or not but yes we can think on this point.<BR><BR>actually how a com component exposes its functinality is it has a type library where it stores all the unique ids given to each of the classes and the far as any language running on windows operating system will have access to these type libraries so functionality of the com object is exposed. but when u want the same thing to happen with applications running in other operating system i dont think that will be supported.....<BR><BR>certainly this is disadvantage for component software. but yes research is going on to make them platform neutral. infact some softwares have been developed which supports typelibraires for mac os and others......

Terrance O Guest

Hi<BR><BR>Yea sounds good and a friendd of ine has told me that ASP can now run on Apache servers. Does this mean the methods/techniques/code etc with ASP on an Apache server can be coded the same as you would for a Microsoft server.<BR><BR>Are there any inherent changes to coding style/methods needed or would it be a simple matter of only a few changes.<BR>Reason I ask this is that PHP is regarded by some people to be a ASP equivalent for ASP on Linux servers and ASP running on a Apache/Linux server sounds liek a dream come true. No need to make too many changes, I hope...