Undefined Variable Handling?

Thread: Undefined Variable Handling?

Fraser Murrell Guest

Default Undefined Variable Handling?

Hi,<BR><BR>Using JSCRIPT in ASP, I`m trying to detect if a variable is as yet undefined.<BR><BR>If I try :<BR><BR>var Mode;<BR><BR>if(Mode == undefined)<BR> Response.Write("Mode Undefined!");<BR><BR> .. I get a message back saying &#039undefined&#039 is undefined.<BR><BR>Is there a proper way of doing this?<BR><BR>Regards,<BR>Fraser

Big Al Guest

Default RE: Undefined Variable Handling?

With in your ASP write at the top <BR>&#060;%Option Explicit %&#062; This must be the first line in your page. But means that all varavbles must be called before they are used. hope this is what you wanted..

Fraser Murrell Guest

Default RE: Undefined Variable Handling?

Hi Al,<BR><BR>Not quite what I was after. I`m using JScript, which should return "undefined" when referecing an undeclared variable anyway, so I think the option explicit thing is VBScript only. My problem was actually getting this undefined value back.. found the following code actually returns it though :<BR><BR>if(typeof(Mode) == "undefined")<BR> Response.Write("Mode Undefined!");<BR><BR>Thanks for the reply anyway,<BR>Fraser

Default RE: Darned Cross-posting!!!!

I&#039ve just spent ten minutes answering this in the JScript forum.<BR><BR>CROSS-POSTING IS EVIL!!!!!<BR><BR>Dunc

Fraser Murrell Guest

Default RE: Darned Cross-posting!!!!

Sorry Dunc.. I`m new to this board, and originally wrote it in the ASP conference before noticing there was actually a JSCRIPT specific conf!! <BR><BR>It wont happen again.. honest!<BR><BR>Cheers again<BR>Fraser