Advanced NT Authentication with Access and ASP

Thread: Advanced NT Authentication with Access and ASP

Rob Faulkner Guest

Default Advanced NT Authentication with Access and ASP

Hi,<BR><BR>I am running IIS4/5 and am currently developing a web interface to an existing Access 97 database. The database stores contact information for our members of staff. There is a requirement for each member of staff to be able to edit their own information. This should be authenticated such that everyone has read access to all records, but each person has only write perms to their own information. This would be straightforward enough if the system used a table for the usernames and passwords, but we run NT domains and would like [need] to use NT Authentication. The data is served dynamically from a few ASPs and it is not feasible to have a page-per-employee [and set standard permissions on the page].<BR><BR>Is there any way in which this could be done? A few ideas I had was to:<BR><BR>1. Find some way of specifing, possibly in the header, the access priviledges for the current page. I presume this is not possible as I understand that the authentication takes place before the ASP is processed.<BR><BR>2. Find a way to retrieve the username after initial NT Challenge/Response login when first accessing the site and store it in the session variables, such that it can be retrieved when the actual authenticaion is required [i.e when the user tries to edit data]<BR><BR>3. We do have MS SQL Server running on the network - could this be of use?<BR><BR><BR>Any help, advice or comments would be extremely helpful.<BR><BR>Many Thanks,<BR><BR><BR>Rob Faulkner<BR>________________________<BR>ASE Consulting<BR>e:<BR>w:<BR>p: +44 870 111 2318<BR>________________________

Default RE: Advanced NT Authentication with Access and ASP

If you are using NT authentication then the user&#039s logon id is always available: Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")<BR><BR>Dunc