how to omit repeated values in a FOR loop

Thread: how to omit repeated values in a FOR loop

JohnH Guest

Default how to omit repeated values in a FOR loop

in the [FOR] loop that i am trying to write, i need to be able to handle the possibility of repeated values appearing in an array value.<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>ArrayVariable = "1,2,2,2,2,1,3"<BR><BR>parsedString = Split(ArrayVariable, ",")<BR><BR>for counter = 0 To UBound(parsedString)<BR><BR>response.write(ParsedS tring(counter)&"<BR>")<BR><BR>Next<BR>%&#062;<BR>T his will output each of the numeric values to the page, but i cannot figure out how to skip any repeated values. I have tried to nest another split statement with accompanying loop, carrying a comparison If-Else statement to avoid repeats - with a total lack of success. <BR>Is there a built-in component in vbscript that will help me? or perhaps a better way to approach this?<BR><BR>Thanks in Advance.<BR>Massively frustrated<BR>JH

BalletChick Guest

Default RE: how to omit repeated values in a FOR loop

Well... you could sort the array before outputting it... then it would be farily easy to see if each value to were about to print matched the one you just printed... if it did, you could skip it. OR, you could do something kludgy but effective... like this:<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>ArrayVariable = "1,2,2,2,2,1,3"<BR><BR>parsedString = Split(ArrayVariable, ",")<BR><BR>strKeepTrack = ""<BR>for counter = 0 To UBound(parsedString)<BR><BR>if instr(strKeepTrack, ParsedString(counter) & "&#124") = 0 then<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;response.write(ParsedStr ing(counter)&"<BR>")<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;strKeepT rack = strKeepTrack & ParsedString(counter) & "&#124"<BR>end if<BR><BR>Next<BR><BR>strKeepTrack = ""<BR><BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>:)<BR>

JohnH Guest

Default Thank you

perfect!<BR> solved my problem , muchas gracias<BR>JH