Symbolic Links when opening Excel-file in ASP

Thread: Symbolic Links when opening Excel-file in ASP

Wim Verbeke Guest

Default Symbolic Links when opening Excel-file in ASP

Right now I&#039m working on an ASP-routine that imports data from an Excel-file and places it in the database. The odd thing is: whenever I open the Excel-file (which has been uploaded first) a symbolic link for the file has been created in the root of the webserver. For example:<BR><BR>1) upload E:INETPUBWEBPUBXLTEMPTEST.XLS<BR>2) ASP page loads Excel<BR>3) Excel opens E:INETPUBWEBPUBXLTEMPTEST.XLS<BR><BR>-&#062; New shortcuts have been created:<BR> E:TEST<BR> E:XLTEMP<BR><BR>When I don&#039t open the file in Excel, but upload the file<BR>and load the Excel-Object, the shortcuts won&#039t be created.<BR><BR>This is the code for opening the file:<BR> E:INETPUBWEBPUBXLTEMPTEST.XLS<BR>xlApp.Workbooks.c lose<BR><BR>There are several options for the open-command, but I can&#039t find any documentation for them, except this (got it from the Object Browser in VB):<BR><BR>Function Open(Filename As String, [UpdateLinks], [ReadOnly], [Format], [Password], [WriteResPassword], [IgnoreReadOnlyRecommended], [Origin], [Delimiter], [Editable],[Notify], [Converter], [AddToMru]) As Workbook<BR>Member of Excel.Workbooks<BR><BR>The &#039UpdateLinks&#039 parameter might be the clue, but I tried to set it true/false/0/1 and nothing changed. Has anybody got a solution for this problem? Also, if anyone would have documentation or weblinks for Office-objects, just let me know.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance,<BR><BR> Wim.<BR><BR><BR>

George Falcone Guest

Default RE: Symbolic Links when opening Excel-file in ASP

I just ran the following code which I think opens the file with update links set to 0 and ReadOnly as True.<BR>&#060;%<BR>Dim xlApplication<BR>set xlApplication = CreateObject("Excel.Application")<BR>xlApplication upldir,"0","True" <BR>%&#062;<BR>Worksheet name is &#060;%=xlApplication.Application.Cells(2,1).value %&#062;<BR><BR>&#060;%xlApplication.ActiveWorkbook .Saved = True<BR>xlApplication.Application.Workbooks.Close< BR>set xlApplication = nothing%&#062;<BR>File Done.<BR>&#060;/BODY&#062;<BR>&#060;/HTML&#062;<BR>

George Falcone Guest

Did you get any responce to this. I am trying to do somthing like that. I have done it in a win-cgi vb program but can not seem to do the same thing in asp. I can open the file but am not able to set the updatelinks. Have you been able to do this.

David Truxall Guest

This is happening to me too. It did not start until we migrated to Win 2000 Advanced Server from an NT 4 Server.<BR><BR>To keep the symbolic links from accumulating I set an advanced permission for the root directory only to deny the anonymous user write permissions. I realize this does not fix the actual problem but at least it keeps the systems guy happy.<BR><BR>Dave Truxall<BR>