Adding Records to Several Tables

Thread: Adding Records to Several Tables

JP Norair Guest

Default Adding Records to Several Tables

Is it possible, using ADO, to add a record to a recordset that spans multiple tables? Is it possible to do this all at once using one recordset?<BR><BR>I&#039ve tried doing this, but I&#039ve gotten error after error on the line where there is the [recordset].Open. Is there something I should know?<BR><BR>Right now I have:<BR>[Recordset Object].Open [string with SQL], [Connection Object], adOpenForwardOnly, adLockPessimistic<BR><BR>It says that there is something missing on that line. Help...<BR><BR>Should I use SQL instead to INSERT? Would that be the better bet?

Default RE: Adding Records to Several Tables

I always use INSERT - it saves on the overhead of creating a recordset, running a SELECT query, marshalling the results, adding a row and marshalling the recordset back to the database for a batch update. Just throw a command at the DB - one string goes one way, and a result code comes back = much less traffic between web server and DB server.<BR><BR>I&#039ve seen cases where people do SELECT * FROM table just to add a row - if that table&#039s big then this is terrifying!<BR><BR>Dunc