Loading ASP page in Netscape is TOO SLOW!!!

Thread: Loading ASP page in Netscape is TOO SLOW!!!

Default Loading ASP page in Netscape is TOO SLOW!!!

I&#039ve done a lot of ASP pages and have never seen this before. I&#039ve just finished coding an application that works great in IE, but when I load the pages in Netscape it takes about 90 seconds for the page to load. Not sure if it&#039s an ASP (connections or recordsets) problem or a table problem (too many of them on the page?)... I&#039m stumped. If you think you can help I&#039ll be happy to send you my code, just don&#039t want to post it here...<BR><BR>Thanks!!<BR><BR>Eddie Appell<BR>eddie@appell.com

Michael Marchuk Guest

Default RE: Loading ASP page in Netscape is TOO SLOW!!!

Have you included the &#039Response.Buffer=True&#039 line in your ASP? I&#039ve done a fair amount of ASP coding and haven&#039t seen this issue before. Also, what version of Netscape? Are you doing a POST or GET method?<BR><BR>Michael Marchuk<BR>mike@point1.com

Stephen Powell Guest

Netscape is very slow to display tables due to bugs. Check to see if you are formatting using huge tables. If so, try something else and compare the performance. Good Luck.

Jason Pontius Guest

I recently developed a very feature-rich calander application and in doing so, discovered that Netscape is MUCH slower rendering advanced CSS formatting. Once I realized this, I did some testing. Here&#039s the breakdown:<BR><BR>I created two different CSS pages; one very basic one for Netscape, and a very extensive one for IE. I then ran the same ASP page (month view calander) with no CSS, the light CSS, and the heavy CSS on each browser.<BR><BR>The results were astonding. IE performed very well straight across the board, rendering that page within a few seconds no matter how much CSS you through at it.<BR><BR>Netscape, on the other hand, was not so lucky. It performed very well with no CSS formatting, slow with the light version of CSS, and absolutely horribly with the extensive CSS formatting. Netscape took upwards of 30 - 45 seconds to render the page with the complete CSS. And I am talking about render times only, AFTER the page has downloaded from the server!!!<BR><BR>So, in short, if you are using heavy CSS; huge, nested tables; or complicated layout methods; check the render time of Netscape after the page is done downloading and you may see that Netscape just isn&#039t a very good rendering browser.

You may also want to define the width/height of your &#060;table&#062; &#060;td&#062; tags where possible. This should help speed it up. I know this is not always easy with dynamic pages though. <BR>

Meher Necib Guest

One other thing to keep in mind. IE renders HTML as soon as possible, but Netscape is more "strict". It will not display a table until he&#039s got it&#039s end. e.g you&#039ll not see the table until he gets the &#060;/table&#062;<BR>Meher Necib<BR>mnecib@free.fr<BR>

Franck Marcia Guest

On my own experience, you can&#039t nest more than 4 table tags to keep good performance!

I had this exact problem. Solution was to use Response.Buffer = true. I have no idea why this made it faster, but it really did the trick..<BR><BR>Good luck!

Vikram Koneri Guest

Read all replies. Interesting findings here<BR>One more point on buffering.<BR><BR>Think why u feel Buffering has speeded it up is because after the ASP page is interpreted completely Netscape can do its HTML syntax checking faster since the all the HTML is available. It feels that the page is shown up faster since there is no part by part renderiug unlike the case when the page is not buffered. <BR><BR>But with large page, one should look at the fact that the user will not see anything at all if the page is buffered. Try flushing some initial data so that the user is informed about the page being rendered and will not be frustrated at no data for long time.<BR>