Best way to implement a shopping basket?

Thread: Best way to implement a shopping basket?

Tim Westmoreland Guest

Default Best way to implement a shopping basket?

What is the best approach to creating a method of keeping up with the contents of a users shopping basket?

Dani Guest

Default RE: Best way to implement a shopping basket?

To this short questions belongs a way long answer. Behind Custom shopping baskets is very sophisticated coding. For a commercial project you could contact us.<BR>http://www.highland-technology.com<BR>info@highland-technology.com

Tim Westmoreland Guest

I am not looking for a detailed answer. Specifically, I want to know the best way to store the contents of a shopping basket while the user navigates your site? Is it with a recordset, a cookie, a custom object.......

i&#039m building one at the moment and have found the best way is to store a user id as a cookie. while the person is shopping i have the user id as a session variable and a unique order number as a session variable, and physically stick all the other stuff into an access table. when the person buys the stuff you can store their details in the db and then when they (hopefully) come back to buy more you know who they are and what they bought last time. i looked at other baskets that used arrays and more session variables, but it was hard to maintain a basket full of stuff on a big site. email me if you want the code. sk@skinnyboy.org

what if the user ordered some stuff, and did not commit to the database? he may shopped some stuff, shut off his machine and then comes back after lunch. As a customer I would not like to order all over again..I would like to carry on from where I have left..<BR>The best way is to use cookies for all line items ordered..<BR>there is no otherway if the information was not committed..

the way i have it set up right now, as soon a something is put in the basket, it&#039s actually in the database. if someone goes away and comes back later having closed down their browser they have to go and retrieve their basket. although i have to admit i haven&#039t got that far yet :0). i kinda like the way some shopping sites have that &#039wish list&#039 thing, where you can store stuff away that you&#039ll buy when you&#039ve got the cash, i guess it would work on the same principle. i don&#039t particularly have a problem with cookies, it&#039s just that if it&#039s in the db it seems more substantial. you retain the information rather than the user.