Sending 1000's of emails

Thread: Sending 1000's of emails

Aaron N. Guest

Default Sending 1000's of emails

I am writing a really advanced email subscribtion system and I have ran into a big problem. If there are only a couple of hundred subscribers it&#039s not a problem but when there are tens of thousands, it is. I am using the code below to send an email to every subscriber in the database.<BR><BR> Do While Not oRecordset.EOF<BR> Set oMail = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")<BR> oMail.BodyFormat = 0 <BR> oMail.MailFormat = 0 <BR> oMail.From = sFrom<BR> oMail.To = oRecordset("EMail")<BR> oMail.Subject = sSubject<BR> oMail.Body = sBody<BR> oMail.Send<BR> Set oOMail = Nothing<BR> oRecordset.MoveNext<BR> Loop<BR><BR>Notice this line:<BR> oMail.To = oRecordset("EMail")<BR><BR>It grabs the email address out of the database and sends an email to that user. The problem lies when there are 10,000 or even 100,000 subscribers in the database. The loop has to go around thousands of times sending an email to each subscriber. There are all sorts of problems with this. The server times out, there are errors, it takes too much time and so on. Does anyone know of, or have any code that will do send emails a certain number of times, like a batch at a time. Or is there a way to loop through the BCC field and just send the email once to a million users. I would appreciate greatly, any help on this matter. You can post to the message board or email me at Thanks a lot for the help.

Default RE: Sending 1000's of emails

To the best of my knowledge CDONTS was not design for this kind of traffic. Your code looks clean to me. There are other list servs out there with specially built SMTP servers to handle the traffic. I&#039ve heard that the SQL email is better at handling larger volumes, but for 100,000 emails at one shot, it seems like you would need a specialiazed SMTP server (software here, not hardware, but with that kind of traffic you may want to consider adding extra NICs) Mustang has a product for this kind of volume.<BR><BR>good luck<BR><BR>bart

Default How to send email automatically everyday

I have seen some free asp postacrd code on the internet but I&#039d like to add a function that can send the postcard at a specific time that the user chooses. In the database there is a field called "send date"(which is the date the user wants to send his postcard). My problem is how can my code check my database automatically every day so it can send the postcard. Eg: I create a postcard today but I want to the postcard on aug-31th. Please help me with this. Thanks a lot in advance.<BR> Sincerely,<BR> Ryan.<BR>