Thread: Formatting

Conrad Guest

Default Formatting

I am creating (trying actually) a simple system where a user may type in some text and latter a person needing help can call it back from the database.<BR><BR>The Problem: I lose all of the carriage returns. I think a solution may be using a replace function. I am just not sure how to go about it.<BR><BR>Any help would be most appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR>Conrad<BR>

Brahms Guest

Default RE: Formatting

Well,<BR><BR>use chr(13) or "<BR>"<BR><BR>however it really depends on what type of box you are getting data from, a text field, or a textarea. as textarea has a wrap attribute that takes care of that, else<BR><BR>you can put the output in a table and forget the carriage returns<BR><BR>or<BR><BR>you can build a string from the request.form("text") <BR>that says every 70 characters insert a chr(13)<BR><BR>more than one way to skin a cat (sorry peta)

Conrad Guest

Default Example

I input this:<BR><BR>This is line one.<BR><BR>This is line two.<BR><BR>This is linw three.<BR><BR><BR>And I get this:<BR><BR><BR>This is line one. This is line two. This is linw three. <BR><BR>Also, I have just discovered that any special character&#039s. Such as &#060;&#062;?/,&#124 cause my script to throw a fit.<BR><BR>Is there some sort of encoding function that might fix this.<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR><BR>

Brahms Guest

Default RE: Example

Okay,<BR><BR>is the data you are entering in a textarea field.<BR><BR>if so then use a physical wrap or virtual<BR><BR>if they are in seperate text boxes<BR>use <BR>str = request.Form("t") & chr(13) & request.form("t2") & chr(13) & soON<BR><BR>otherwise, not sure.<BR>hth