Uploading and downloading files

Thread: Uploading and downloading files

Default Uploading and downloading files

I&#039m a little embarrassed &#039cause it seems like I should know how to do this already... <BR><BR>I need to upload and download one or more files from client to server then from server to client. User to press a send file button and then user presses a retrieve file button. I&#039m not sure about how to go about implementing this requirement. What is the process or technique I should focus in on?<BR><BR>Assume IE is the browser and MSSSQL is the server.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance!

Thomas W. Streiff Guest

Default RE: Uploading and downloading files

Ty,<BR><BR>To upload a file from client to server (I&#039m assuming you&#039re using IIS) you will need an ASP component to accept the file such as Microsoft&#039s Posting Acceptor (which is free from MS web site) or a purchased component such as SA-FileUp from Software Artisans (see http://www.asphack.com/asphack/getcom.asp for the link ... I forget it). You then follow the instructions to code the component requirements and parameters to accept the file(s) from a form.<BR><BR>To download to the client from a server, basically this should be pretty easy. The best way is to have links on a page (either static or generated from a database list) to each file. For example, if a file&#039s name is whatever.xyz the link to the file on the server would be &#060;a href="http://yourserver.com/filedir/whatever.xyz">Download the whatever.xyz file&#060;/a>. Just remember the filedir has to be listed as a virtual directory within your web server config so the server can access it!<BR><BR>I really hope this helps<BR><BR>regards,<BR><BR>Thomas W. Streiff<BR>developer ASPHACK.COM

Default RE: Uploading and downloading files

Yes, your directions were right on the money. Thanks very much. I&#039ve got a hnadle on it now.<BR><BR>All the best,<BR><BR>-- Ty