A question about tracking user login with ASP.

Thread: A question about tracking user login with ASP.

Jeff Steele Guest

Default A question about tracking user login with ASP.

My project includes a login page where registered users will login and proceed on with their work. On certain pages, I require that all logged in users be able to see other people that are logged in and are on the same page at the same time as the user (the best example i can think of is a chat room, where one person can tell who else is in the room). I can do this, however, I would like to dynamically update the page (without loading) when someone leaves the page (an example would be if someone left a chatroom). The same should apply for newcomers to the page (chatroom). I am storing all logged in users in a table in a database and when a user is gone from a certain place, their "LOCATION" field in their "USER" record will change (for example, from CHATROOM to TUTORIAL_PAGE). To sum things up, I want the web page to display all users on page CHATROOM.....dynamically. If someone leaves, their name disappears/it says "PERSON_ONE has left." If there is a way to track logged in users without databases and just variables (perhaps a global variable that can store all users logged in/on a certain page) or you know how to dynamically change a page when someone leaves the "CHATROOM", please e-mail me at jsteele@aasdcat.com<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Jeff Steele

Aaron N. Guest

Default RE: A question about tracking user login with ASP.

As far as I know, this cannot be done in ASP alone. ASP is server side. All the code is proccessed on the server and then displayed to the user in raw HTML. It can only be updated when the user reloads the page. I don hwever have an idea for you. YOu can make the corner of the page an IFRAME (for IE) and a LAYER (for NN) and make just that part reload whenever someone enters or leaves the page. Short of a Java applet or something like it, it cannot be done in ASP alone. Hope this helps.