counting records...a lil differently...

Thread: counting records...a lil differently...

Default counting records...a lil differently...

OK, so, I have a bunch of records...anywho, this is kind of like a Q&A thing, so questions that haven&#039t been answered appear in this answer page...sounds good, right? right. ok, no, moving on...i want to count all of the reocrds taht are being displayed on this answer would i do that?? i can&#039t do a recordcount because that would count ALL of the records...anyone have any ideas?

SPG Guest

Default This might work...

Expecting that your page is showing all "questions" and "answers" (which should be related but not necessarily) which precludes a simple single-pass query, you could run a second query that looks like<BR><BR>select count(*) from QAtable where answers is NULL<BR><BR>(assuming non-answered questions are null).<BR><BR>Alternately, you could bind that into your initial query by saying [this might work, haven&#039t tested]<BR><BR>select questions, answers, count(select * from QAtable where answer is NULL) as iUnanswered from QAtable ... rest of your query ...<BR><BR>You *should* (if it doesn&#039t toss its cookies at you) have a new iUnanswered category in your recordset which contains the number of unanswered questions.<BR><BR>HiH.<BR>

Default RE: counting records...a lil differently...

SPG&#039s answer seems correct, given the assumptions he has made about what you are doing.<BR><BR>But I am not sure his assumptions are correct.<BR><BR>So follow these questions in order:<BR><BR>When you do the query, are you getting *ALL* records in the table?<BR><BR>If "yes", then: Are you then only displaying only the records where the given question hasn&#039t been answered?<BR><BR>If still "yes", then: Are you doing anything else *ON THIS PAGE* with the records where the question *IS* answered?<BR><BR>If that one is "no", then (and *only* then):<BR><BR>Can you say "oops"?<BR><BR>If "yes" or "no", then...<BR><BR>Why???? Why bother to even *get* the records that you aren&#039t interested in for this particular page?<BR><BR>If your query asked only for the records that had not yet been answered, and if your cursor type is correct, then RecordSet.RecordCount *WILL* be right for the query! (It does *not* give you a count of all records in the table...only of those matching the query.)<BR><BR>AND THEN...<BR><BR>Don&#039t forget about RecordSet.GetRows. Which works with *any* kind of cursor. Pulls all the records into a two-dimensional array. Much faster then RS.MoveNext and all that nonsense. And once you have the records moved into the array, then do<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;allRows = RS.GetRows<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;recordCount = UBound( allRows, 2 ) + 1<BR>and you have what you want!<BR><BR><BR>