Timeout Expired!!!

Thread: Timeout Expired!!!

Archana Kulkarni Guest

Default Timeout Expired!!!

Hi! <BR>My script has been running for more than a month now and users have been accessing it . But now we have encountered the following error:<BR><BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error &#039 80040e31&#039 <BR><BR>[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired <BR><BR>/xxx/update.asp, line 152 <BR><BR>I am using a ADODB.Recordset.<BR><BR>This line is:<BR><BR>db_rs.open dbf_qry, "DSN=my_sql;UID=sa;PWD="<BR>ars.update ...<BR><BR>wherever there is a update or insert through ASP we get this error.<BR>This has been working for more than a month everyday. But in between gives this error. Can anyone give me some pointers on this? I would really appreciate the help since a lot of ppl. are now unable to access this particular asp page.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Archana K

Default RE: Timeout Expired!!!

rachana..<BR>it may b possible that it takes too long for ur conncetion object to get connected.....<BR>so define connectiontimeout property of CONNECTION objedt......<BR>like......<BR>set con=server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR> con.Open "PROVIDER=MICROSOFT.JET.OLEDB.4.0;DATA SOURCE=" & Server.MapPath("[Relative path of ur database from the current directory where this page resides]")<BR><BR> OR<BR>con.Open "DRIVER={Microsoft jet accesss (*.mdb)};dbq=" & Server.MapPath("[Relative path of ur database from the current directory where this page resides]")<BR><BR>and then.......<BR><BR>con.connectiontimeout=[define seconds here]..so withing that time period, if connection is not established, then error will b produced.......so u can extend ur timeout period.....<BR>if it works, then just mail me at.......mihironline@yahoo.com<BR>hope it will solve ur prob......<BR><BR>

sm549 Guest

Default RE: Timeout Expired!!!

Sounds like what you want is a longer CommandTimeout period. <BR><BR>The ConnectionTimeout will only help if connecting to the database is what&#039s taking too long, ie logging into a distant mainframe. Once you&#039ve made a connection, long queries can time out if the CommandTimeout is set too low, esp large joins or updates. You might also look into stored procedures to speed up the slow queries.<BR><BR>If it&#039s the web page that&#039s timing out you can configure that as well.<BR><BR>HIH