Quick Replace question...

Thread: Quick Replace question...

Papa Zito Guest

Default Quick Replace question...

I&#039m trying to replace (what else?) any "s that are in a string. Right now, my Replace looks like this :<BR><BR>Description = Replace(RS("Description"),",&quot;)<BR><BR>VBScrip t tells me there&#039s an unterminated string because there&#039s no " after the one in the middle there. How do I get VBScript to recognize that I&#039m trying to replace the "? I&#039ve also tried :<BR><BR>Description = Replace(RS("Description"),&#039"&#039,&quot;)<BR>< BR>which gives me a syntax error...

Neils Guest

Default RE: Quick Replace question...

You&#039re getting closer, try this:<BR><BR>Description = Replace(RS("Description"),"""",")<BR><BR>That&#039 s four double quotes in a row, I think it should work.

Papa Zito Guest

Default That worked great!

That worked perfectly, thanks! It looks really strange though... do you know exactly why it works?

Neils Guest

Default RE: That worked great!

If you want to put an actual double quote in a VB string you have to prefix it with another double quote. Since VB string delimiters are also double quotes, it looks a little strange.<BR><BR>So, the middle two quotes are translated into one character stored inside a string.<BR><BR>Not the best explanation, but it works.

Papa Zito Guest

Default RE: That worked great!

(Since you seem to know all of this kind of stuff...) Do you know the HTML code for &#039(single-quote)? I just found that I need to get rid of those too...