Searching....Need it bit better then LIKE % strSea

Thread: Searching....Need it bit better then LIKE % strSea

ASP_DRUG_DEALER Guest

Default Searching....Need it bit better then LIKE % strSea

I&#039ve got a table with part numbers in it. I would like to search it starting at postion one and work forward (example, Instr(1, SearchString, SearchChar, 1)). Is there a way to do this with out hitting the db over and over? <BR><BR>Someone searchs for part 1234. My old way they would get back<BR>5551234,7812349,12345,8123488. <BR><BR>I am looking for a way to only come up with the "12345" part number.<BR><BR>Anyideas or suggestions would be great!<BR><BR>Thanks,

e Guest

Default RE: Searching....Need it bit better then LIKE % st

But if you only want to return the part # 1234<BR>you should&#039nt use a LIKE statement. <BR><BR>But if you want to find parts that start with the numbers<BR>12345 use :<BR>LIKE &#039 12345%&#039<BR><BR>instead of <BR>LIKE &#039%12345%&#039<BR><BR>I hope this helps but can you explain further if not?<BR><BR>e

ASP_DRUG_DEALER Guest

Default RE: Searching....Need it bit better then LIKE % st

Thats what I needed...Just someone to slap me and say WAKE UP!<BR>I started to write a process that just hammered the db over and over. I wasted 3 hours on this, but I did manage to get a cool function that underlines where it made matches against the recordset.<BR><BR>Thanks again for the wake-up call...<BR><BR>DRUG