Create Multiple Database in SQL Server

Thread: Create Multiple Database in SQL Server

Yog Guest

Default Create Multiple Database in SQL Server

IS it possible to create an SQL server database from within my ASP scripts. The procedure is i want to create a database once a user pays and registers on the site. If not then how do i automate this process.<BR><BR>Another very important question:<BR><BR>SQL server supports creation of around 32000 databases under one Server copy. Our organization has a customer base of 40000 and we are developing a store manager for each of them storing their database on the SQL server copy on the Web. Is it acceptable that i have a database for all these customers. If not what is the other way or rather what is the most effective way of using SQL server resources.

Garth Guest

Default RE: Create Multiple Database in SQL Server

The code shown below demonstrates how to use a stored procedure to create a database. Execute the DDL in master, replace the login information with valid values and then execute the ASP. Please note that in order to create a useful database you will need to add additional parameters (e.g. SIZE, MAXSIZE). See the Books Online to review all the arguments of the CREATE DATABASE statement.<BR><BR>And for your second question, I am sure you are going to want to have multiple servers to support the number of customers/databases. Just because SQL Server can support 32,767 databases it doesn&#039t mean you would actually want to put this many on one server.<BR><BR>Garth<BR><BR><BR><BR ><BR>&#060;!--DDL<BR>USE master<BR>go<BR>CREATE PROCEDURE sp_UTIL_CreateDatabase<BR>@DataBaseName sysname,<BR>@ReturnValue varchar(7) OUTPUT<BR>AS<BR>SET NOCOUNT ON<BR>DECLARE @SQL varchar(2000)<BR><BR>SET @SQL = &#039CREATE DATABASE &#039+@DataBaseName<BR>EXEC (@SQL)<BR><BR>IF @@ERROR &#060;&#062; 0<BR> SET @ReturnValue = &#039Failure&#039<BR>ELSE<BR> SET @ReturnValue = &#039Success&#039<BR>--&#062;<BR><BR><BR>&#060;!--#include file=""--&#062;<BR>&#060;%<BR> DataBaseName = "TestDataBase"<BR><BR> Set objConn = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR><BR> REM DSN-Less ODBC<BR> REM objConn.Open "Driver={SQL Server};Server=ACE;Database=master;Uid=sa;Pwd="<BR ><BR> REM DSN-Less OLE-DB<BR> objConn.Open "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Server=ACE;Database=master;Uid= sa;Pwd="<BR><BR><BR> Set cmd1 = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")<BR> cmd1.ActiveConnection = objConn<BR> cmd1.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc<BR> cmd1.CommandText = "sp_UTIL_CreateDatabase"<BR> cmd1.Parameters.Append cmd1.CreateParameter("DataBaseName",adVarChar,adPa ramInput,128,DataBaseName)<BR> cmd1.Parameters.Append cmd1.CreateParameter("ReturnValue",adVarChar,adPar amOutput,7)<BR> cmd1.Execute<BR><BR> response.write cmd1.Parameters("ReturnValue")<BR> %&#062;