Navigating a recordset(urgent)

Thread: Navigating a recordset(urgent)

Default Navigating a recordset(urgent)

I want to open a recordset navigate it, add records to it and update exising records and I have to display these records one at a time in textboxes.<BR> <BR>I want to use ADO Recordset. I am using Visual Interdev.<BR>I have created an ASP Page and then I have typed the following code to open a recordset.<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>set conn = server.createobject("Adodb.Connection")<BR>set rec1 = Server.CreateObject("Adodb.Recordset")<BR>conn.ope n "Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};DSN=ora800;server=aaaa","username","passwo rd"<BR> "select * from...",conn,adOpenDynamic,adLockOptimistic<BR>%& #062;<BR><BR>Then please tell me whether the buttons to navigate the recordset should be of serverside or client side.<BR><BR>If I use server side then if I want to move to the next recordset then the whole asp page is processed once again ie. it again opens the recordset and so everytime I click MoveNext button it displays the second record. <BR><BR>If I use client side then it doesn&#039t it doesn&#039t get the textboxes(gives the error object required for textbox1 because these textboxes are DTC textboxes set to Server(ASP)<BR><BR>If I open the recordset in global.asa and this recordset I store in a session variable and then use it in the asp page it works fine. But I have read that one shouldn&#039t store the recordset in session variables because if the recordset is too large then it will consume heavy resources.<BR><BR>What should I do?

Default RE: Navigating a recordset(urgent)

You should buy and read a book on ASP. This is the sort of thing any half-decent ASP programmer should be able to do in their sleep. There are many ways of doing it, each with their own pros & cons - how you actually go about doing this depends on a number of factors including target browser, query type, result set size and UI design.<BR><BR>You shouldn&#039t put a recordset in a Session variable because it&#039s not thread-safe and will cause massive scalabilty problems. The size of the recordset has nothing to do with it.<BR><BR>Dunc