Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER") in Win2K/IIS

Thread: Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER") in Win2K/IIS

dave od Guest

Default Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER") in Win2K/IIS

Hi ,<BR> I&#039m having problems accessing the above in a Win2000 Server.<BR>Its for an intranet, the users are already logged onto NT.<BR>I want to get the computer names of who&#039s using the site but <BR>neither the logging of usernames in IIS or even using the above works.<BR>It works ok in NT 4.0, SP4 .<BR><BR>Is it me or should I wait for SP 1.0 :)<BR>thanks <BR>dave

Markkk Guest

Default RE: Request.ServerVariables(

Keep in mind that the Server Variable LOGON_USER will not be populated, unless you authenticate your users!<BR><BR>If you are not authenticating your web clients (i.e. you are using Anonymus Authentication), then Request.Servervariables("LOGON_USER") always will be NULL.<BR><BR>You must authenticate your web clients (via either NT Challengle/Response or Basic Auhtentication) before the LOGON_USER variable is populated with Domain and user Account data.<BR><BR>Make sure that your IIS settings are set properly!<BR>&nbsp;- Uncheck Anonymous Authentication<BR>&nbsp;- Check NT Challenge/Response Authentication (for MSIE browsers)<BR>&nbsp;- Check Basic Authentication (for Netscape browsers)<BR><BR>I hope this helps!

daveod Guest

Default RE: Request.ServerVariables(

thanks for this Markkk, however, I should have clarified that we don&#039t want the users to have to logon to the web server, & so we want to use Anon. authentication, however, they will be logged onto the NT domain with their NT usernames. <BR>But re the LOGON_USER variable, ok I understand that the AUTH_USER needs to be populated via authentication, but does the LOGON_USER variable not return the NT user account which the user has logged onto the system, regardless of how they&#039re logged onto the web server ? Thats how it seems to work in NT, but not on win2k. <BR>thanks again Markkk.<BR>Dave<BR>