ordering a set of objects

Thread: ordering a set of objects

Tobeee Guest

Default ordering a set of objects

Hello<BR>I&#039ve created an object for which each instance (object(x)) holds records from a database. I&#039ve then loaded these into a display table. However, I really need them sorted by one of their attributes (value1) before they go in the table . I ... erm ... oh dear, I can&#039t even think straight to say what I&#039ve tried already as it&#039s been a loooong day! ANY IDEAS??

Steve Cimino Guest

Default That's what dbs are for

You should let the sorting happen when you retrieve the records, not when you put them in. It&#039ll save you time, given what solution I&#039m about to give you.<BR><BR>You have your records... now you want to do some sort on them within an array(?). You&#039ll have to look on www.msdn.microsoft.com on sorting algorithims. If you&#039re not an experienced coder, these can give you a headache. For instance, you have the bubble sort, the quick sort, and the shell sort. Not fun stuff to do on a Friday afternoon.<BR><BR>Dump the data in first, then for your report, use GROUP and ORDER to display your data nice and neat.

Default RE: That's what dbs are for

I remember in my high school CS classes we&#039d devote entire weeks to figuring out quick sort, bubble sort, etc. -- coding a sorting algorithm is best left to CS academics, not necessarily the rest of us. :) Use ORDER BY in your query and you&#039ll be happier.<BR>Ben

Tobeee Guest

Default RE: Sorry, I didn't explain!

I&#039m doing fuzzy search algorithm in ASP, so need to get records from the db, then assign temporary similarity ratings for each attribute against the user&#039s search attributes... for this reason, the similarities are unique for each search, and so I bring each record (satisfying SOME criteria) into an object within ASP, do the comparisons and store the similarity ratings as extra properties of the objects..... therefore, can&#039t order etc at the db retrieval time. Sorry to mislead you!!! I&#039ll check out the microsoft site though - didn&#039t know they had a search algorithm section. THANKS ANYWAY. Later.