Can't get notepad to interact with desktop on

Thread: Can't get notepad to interact with desktop on

Josh Rolfe Guest

Default Can't get notepad to interact with desktop on

I am using ASPEXEC and I can&#039t get it to work right. I have the WWW publishing service set to interact with desktop, but I can&#039t get notepad to display. It will run as a process, but not an application. I am using Windows 2000, so the services are a little bit different. I figure it is either a permissions issue or there is some other service I have to allow to interact with desktop (I have done this for RPC service, protected storage service, and IIS Admin service, since these are listed as dependencies to the WWW service). Thanks in advance for your help.

Default RE: Can't get notepad to interact with desktop

Which machine are you trying to get Notepad to appear on - the client or the server? If it&#039s the client then you&#039ll have trouble because your executing Notepad.exe on the server. If you&#039re trying to get it to appear on the server you have a real problem because it&#039s probably in a locked room several thousand miles away from any of your users.<BR><BR>Dunc

Josh Rolfe Guest

Default RE: Can't get notepad to interact with desktop

I&#039m trying to execute it on the server. Notepad is just an example I&#039m using to make sure interact with desktop works. This is what I&#039m trying to do:<BR>1 - The user clicks a link.<BR>2 - This executes a command on the server, which would be: cmd /c arp -a &#062; c:inetpubwwwrootarptable.txt<BR>3 - The above command would write the server&#039s arp cache into a text file that is accessible through the web.<BR>4 - I would then display the text file to the user or parse it to get a particular entry.<BR><BR>Basically, I want to get the server&#039s arp cache via the web. Although the command will run, (cmd.exe shows up as a process), it won&#039t write the text file unless it can interact with the desktop.