Removing/Updating Components

Thread: Removing/Updating Components

Neils Guest

Default Removing/Updating Components

This is a two part question:<BR>(1) I registered a components on my server using regsvr32.exe and now I don&#039t want to use the component anymore. I can&#039t delete the file because it is in use (by IIS I assume). What is the best way to rid myself of an unwanted component.<BR><BR>(2) Along the same lines, I want to change a component, but can&#039t replace the current file(.dll) because it is in use. How do I get around this?<BR><BR>Thanks.

Default RE: Removing/Updating Components

First thing you need to do is to get the component out of memory.<BR><BR>You can either:<BR>1) stop and start the whole IIS web service via the mmc (not the best idea if you want to keep your clients happy)<BR>2) unload the ASP application through the mmc (go to the properties sheet on the virtual directory which contains the application that calls the component - this is the method I typically use)<BR>3) or reboot your server (why waste your time though?) <BR>4) there are a number of other ways of doing via the command line (someone has even posted their batch file that use to do this on this forum)<BR><BR>Once your component is released from memory then you can update it, or, if you want to delete it, I would first unregister it like this fom the command line:<BR><BR>c:winntsystem32
    egsvr32.exe c:winntsystem32yourcomponentname.dll /u<BR><BR>after you do this then you can simply delete the file.<BR><BR>Hope this helps<BR><BR>bart<BR>

Default RE: Removing/Updating Components

To unregister a component run "regsvr32 /u dllname".<BR><BR>To update, try stopping the web service and waiting a couple of seconds (well, maybe minutes...)<BR><BR>Dunc