Sorting Help...

Thread: Sorting Help...

pnub Guest

Default Sorting Help...

Ok, I am having trouble opening a database and sorting it by a particular (known) column before outputting the data...here is what I have which opens the database (Access &#039 97):<BR><BR>&#060;%<BR>Dim DB_CONNECTSTRING<BR>DB_CONNECTIONSTRING = "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=" & Server.MapPath(strDataBase) & ";"<BR>Set objRecordset = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")<BR>objRecor dset.Open strBook, DB_CONNECTIONSTRING, adOpenStatic, adLockPessimistic, adCmdTable<BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>What do I need to change/modify or add to have the database sorted by the column named "font_name" (w/out quotes) and in descending alphabetical order (A at the top, Z at the bottom)?

Richard L. Guest

Default RE: Sorting Help...

You need to change the string in strBook (that you didn&#039t show).<BR><BR>I assume it&#039s something like:<BR><BR>"SELECT * " & _<BR>"FROM myTableName " & _<BR>"WHERE this = that " &<BR><BR>Add:<BR><BR>"ORDER BY font_name"<BR><BR>Going A-Z is, in SQL terms, called Ascending order (low to high value). To sort in Descending order:<BR><BR>"ORDER BY font_name DESC"<BR><BR>Richard

If you are trying to display the contents of the database you need to use some sort of SQL string. Such as <BR><BR> strSQL = "SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE Font_Name like &#039" & _<BR>strName & "&#039 ORDER BY Font_Name"<BR><BR>Where the ORDER by statement is the sorting command.<BR>You also need to execute the SQL command and write a loop to display the results, but that is another topic in itself.

pnub Guest

Ok, so I have changed the following the line containing strBook to the following:<BR><BR>objRecordset.Open "SELECT * FROM " & strBook & " ORDER BY font_name DESC", DB_CONNECTIONSTRING, adOpenStatic, adLockPessimistic, adCmdTable<BR><BR>But I took out the "WHERE this = that" portion...I don&#039t know what that part does...how do I use it and it is required because what I have doesn&#039t work?<BR><BR>PS<BR>strBook is the name of the table in the database which is openeded.

The WHERE statement is used to match records. It will match the records that corespond to the criteria you set for a given field. For instance if you have a field in your Database called First_Name and you want to only return the records which match a given first name such as Rick. You could write your Query like the following.<BR>strName="Rick"<BR> strSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblWebDealerList _<BR>WHERE First_Name = &#039" & strName & "&#039 ORDER BY First_Name"<BR><BR>This will return only the records which have Rick in the First_Name field.<BR>May I also suggest just using the name of the Table you wish to select from instead of a variable. It may make things a little easier for you in the beginning. <BR>

pnub Guest

IS the WHERE portion of the SQL statement required? I really don&#039t have any stipulations on the data...just to output everything