What the HECK does this mean?

Thread: What the HECK does this mean?

Zola Guest

Default What the HECK does this mean?

I recently finished a long and elaborate form that was sent to a database. It worked perfectly after much gnashing of teeth and bashing of my head against the computer monitor.<BR><BR>Well, I am supposedly betatesting a Cold Fusion server. Everything ASP is supposed to work as always. Instead, I now get an error when I go to update information:<BR>ADODB.Recordset error &#039 800a0d5d&#039 <BR><BR>Data type conversion error. <BR><BR>/heart/exe-bin/charupdate.asp, line 1016 <BR><BR>and nothing updates<BR><BR>What is a data type conversion error? I can see NOTHING wrong with the code, not on line 1016 or 30 lines either way! Does cold fusion need something special?<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>Zola

Zola Guest

Default I know what the problem is now but I don't know how to fix it!

After banging my head against the monitor a few more times, I realized the error message was telling me when the problem happened, not necessarily what caused it.<BR><BR>So, the problem is basically this. At the end of my long, elaborate form I have a couple of memo fields. I am not getting the error mentioned in the ASP FAQ, there is no problem with the memo fields or my SQL.<BR><BR>I want to pass information from a textarea to a memo field, and for some reason it just doesn&#039t recognize that the stuff in the text field can be written into the memo field, which is what caused the data type mismatch. I tried adding the line &#060;input type="text">, but that didn&#039t work. <BR><BR>What do I need to do to coax it to accept the info from the textarea field and put it into the memo field? As I mentioned, I had only just begun to beta test Cold Fusion, and the form worked perfectly before I changed servers. Is this a problem with the server&#039s programming? Or is it something maddeningly simple like needing to use the # to get the date to display properly?<BR><BR>I am using an Access Database, BTW.......<BR><BR>I appreciate your help. =)<BR><BR>

Default RE: I know what the problem is now but I don't know how to fix it!

The memo data type will accept any string variable as long as you escape the apostrophe (&#039) for Access and also the as pipe (&#124) character for SQL Server. The data type is more tricky. You need to have it formatted right and by putting a pound sign (#) before and after a correct date for Access and something else entirely for SQL Server. <BR><BR>In fact, this post is stored on a memo data type in Access and a text type in SQL Server.<BR><BR>You can download a database string component from my site (see developers component http://www.dougdean.com) which will prepare strings and dates for databases.<BR><BR>Doug<BR>ddean@deltanet.com<BR>

Zola Guest

Default IN ENGLISH please!! ;-)

Thank you for answering my post, Doug. Unfortunately, as I am just barely getting started with ASP, I did not understand your explanation. =( I went to your site as well, and did not understand the article.<BR>I do know enough to tell you that I am not using strings. I have a straightforward but long form that is posted to an ASP page. There are a bunch of text boxes and then my textareas.<BR><BR>I start out with <BR>&#060;%<BR>Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>conn.op en "granite", "", ""<BR>Set rsUpdate = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")<BR>SQL = "SELECT * FROM Vampire"<BR>rsUpdate.open sql, conn, 3, 3<BR>rsUpdate("Username") = Request.Form("Username")<BR>(blah blah blah)<BR>if rsUpdate.eof = False then<BR>Username = rsUpdate("Username")<BR>(and so on)<BR><BR>I then have a table set up that shows the result of the update, except it doesn&#039t update because of the error. Since it is fetching the form info no problem, the table actually shows what was entered, except that the info isn&#039t getting into the database.<BR><BR>I know from working with date fields I had to identify the date with a # so Access would know to use date format. Are you saying I have to do something similar for the memo fields?<BR><BR>Thank you for your patience with a newbie.

Default English won't do It I'm afraid

I&#039m not that familiar with the code your using but I think you might need to look into using a SQL UPDATE statement rather than a SELECT statement for updating.<BR><BR>doug