Maybe the Advanced Guys can help!!

Thread: Maybe the Advanced Guys can help!!

Default Maybe the Advanced Guys can help!!

Well, the DB discussion group didn&#039t have any responses to this question, maybe the advanced guys can help. Thanks for at least looking.<BR><BR>I&#039ve built an online tracking system using SQL as the backend DB. I have a screen where my associates can work directly from the &#039open&#039 tickets in the database. Currently, I keep the database connection open while they are in this page so that they can scroll through the tickets in order. I&#039ve been reading that keeping connections open isn&#039t always the best thing to do. Is there a way to close the connection yet maintain one&#039s place in the recordset so that when the users move to the next ticket or the previous ticket, etc it puts them back at the right spot? <BR><BR>All help is appreciated.

Default RE: Maybe the Advanced Guys can help!!

Matt,<BR><BR>If you are using ado then you are not going to have a problem. ADO supports disconnected recordsets, so you can get your information and store it in a recordset and then close the connection. As long as you leave the recordset alone you should not lose any information.<BR><BR>bob

Imar Spaanjaars Guest

Default RE: Maybe the Advanced Guys can help!!

Yes, there is. (If this is what you mean, that is).<BR>You can create a bookmark like this:<BR><BR>Dim bookmark1<BR>bookmark1 = Recordset1.getBookmark()<BR>Recordset1.close()<BR> <BR>&#039 You then have a bookmark whick you can use later like this<BR>Recordset1.open()<BR>Recordset1.setBookmar k(bookmark1)<BR><BR>Note, allthough you might expect setBookmark to set one, you must you use getBookmark to put a bookmark in a variable, and then later use set to go to your selected record.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR><BR>Imar<BR>

Default Looks like that might do it.-- Maybe the Advanced

Looks like that might do what I need. I will experiment with it. Thank you very much.