Session Variables

Thread: Session Variables

Andrew Grim Guest

Default Session Variables

All the ASP sites I read say don&#039t use session variables. That&#039s great. But why? My guess is memory allocation, combined with lots of users it could be a problem. Are there any reasons other than this? Memory isn&#039t an issue here, only performance. Making a database call per page to get this information would be unnacceptable for my situation. So I&#039m mainly wondering if there are problems other than memory.<BR><BR>As far as sharing session variables across load-balanced servers, that&#039s not a problem because we maintain persistance to our servers.

Shedao Shai Guest

Default RE: Session Variables

If you have already addressed the memory and load balancing issues than there is nothing else. Those are the main reasons for not using Sessions. Optimally the app would be a sessionless app, but we all know that is really not realistic when the requirements call for some form of persistance.<BR><BR>its kind of funny because the next version of ASP will have session management via the URL (instead of cookies). We&#039ve all been doing this for a while manually. So it&#039s about time!