User Name Suggestion

Thread: User Name Suggestion

Default User Name Suggestion

Hey Guys, how do I display alternative user names that I user can use, in the case where their desired user name is already taken.<BR><BR>For example if a user wants myname as a userid but it&#039s taken already.. I want my to give them alternatives that have not been taken like<BR><BR>myname2<BR>myname44<BR><BR>or whatever.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance <BR>

Josh Rolfe Guest

Default RE: User Name Suggestion

First of all you need to decide on what convention you are going to use for your alternatives. If you are going to use incremental numbers after the username, as in your above example, then there are a few ways to do it. One way is to set up a loop that increments numbers from 1 to 10 or (or whatever). Then concatenate the username with the number (myname1) and check it against the database of existing names. The sql would be something like <BR><BR>SELECT UserName FROM UserNameTable WHERE UserName=&#039" & UserNameRequested & counter & "&#039" <BR><BR>If no match (your recordset is at EOF), suggest it for the user. To suggest multiple names, consider writing them to an array so you can loop through the array later to display all the suggestions. You may want to set up another counter to track how many suggestions do not have matches in the database, then exit the loop when you have the desired number.