Formatting nicely from a database

Thread: Formatting nicely from a database

Julie A. Guest

Default Formatting nicely from a database

I have a form which allow users to input lots of text (with tabs, returns, etc) into certain fields. When submitted, the form puts everything into the appropriate fields into the database.<BR>My problem is that when people search for certain records, i have that recordset written to the screen with response.write. The words are all there, but I&#039ve lost the formatting of returns and tabs and whatnot. Is there anyway to keep that formatting when entering fields into the database?

Default HTML formatting...probably not DB

The formatting is *probably* still there!<BR><BR>To find out if it is, do a "View &#124 Source" in your browser to see the actual HTML that is displaying the retrieved text.<BR><BR>Are the tabs and end-of-lines and and and still there? Bet they are!<BR><BR>The problem is nothing to do with ASP. HTML does not retain the "raw text" and insists on trying to reformat it.<BR><BR>You can *possibly* get close to the original form by doing something like this:<BR><BR>&#060;PRE&#062;<BR>&#060;% = RS("thePrettyTextField") %&#062;<BR>&#060;/PRE&#062;<BR><BR>The &#060;PRE&#062; tag tells HTML to take the following text as "PREformatted" and *not* do any further formatting.<BR><BR>You should go get a good book on HTML and learn about other possible ways to retain or reproduce or enhance the formatting.<BR><BR>

Julie A. Guest

Default RE: HTML formatting...probably not DB

Thank you much! The PRE tag works perfect for what I need. I was fearing the fix would be something long and complicated... I&#039m glad it wasn&#039t anything terrible at all