"Provider Error 80004005" ????

Thread: "Provider Error 80004005" ????

Steve Fitzpatrick Guest

Default "Provider Error 80004005" ????

Tried to refresh a page that uses an Access database, got this<BR><BR> Provider error &#039 80004005&#039 <BR><BR> Unspecified error <BR><BR>when I tried use connection.open in the refresh.<BR><BR>Here&#039s the code it&#039s falling over at:<BR><BR> Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR> conn.open "DBNews","",""<BR> Set DBNews_conn = conn<BR><BR> sql = "SELECT * FROM QandA"<BR> sql = sql & " ORDER BY QandA.DateEntered DESC "<BR> Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")<BR> rs.Open sql, conn, 3, 3<BR><BR>Don&#039t understand it, it was working fine one minute then f**ked the next, all objects are closed down and set to nothing properly at the end of each page.<BR><BR>Any ideas??

Default RE:

I had the same problem as you - an error that says "Unspecified Error" & "Provider Error &#039 80004005&#039." The error is always related to the line in my .asp file where I&#039m trying to open a database connection.<BR><BR>One thing you can do (although this is not the best solution to the problem) is restart the server. This usually fixes the problem, but only temporarily. However, I think I&#039ve finally found a decent solution to this problem.<BR><BR>Originally my code was like this:<BR><BR>Set Connect = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>Connect .Open "DSN_Name"<BR>-------------------------------------------<BR>However, when you add a line of code for a timeout connection, the problem seems to go away. Here&#039s how my code looks now:<BR><BR>Set Connect = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>Connect .ConnectionTimeout = 20<BR>Connect.Open "DSN_Name"<BR><BR>I&#039m hoping that this is a permanent solution to this problem. So far it&#039s worked for me!!!<BR>

lagerBoy Guest

Default Common error.

This is probably the most common error message around, and is summarized by "Sorry I couldn&#039t get your data for some reason."<BR><BR>Here is a link to a good description about this error message:http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q183/0/60.ASP<BR><BR>Some common reasons for this error are:<BR>That you have a permissions issue with your database.<BR><BR>Another common reason is that you may have your connection string initialized in the global.asa file and the event didn&#039t fire properly.<BR><BR>Finally, it could also occur if you are connecting to a local database that has a table linked to another Network database.<BR>