Path info

Thread: Path info

Jeffery M. Guest

Default Path info

I would like to know how to avoid a url like:<BR> or<BR><BR><BR>And instead have it say:<BR> having applications be a cgi(asp) script and /business/accounting be the data that searched from the database. Doing this without using a "?" or a file extension in the ASP file.<BR><BR>Any ideas on how to do this on IIS? I tried fiddling with the server&#039s extensions and could make my ASP pages work with a .apps for example.<BR>I guess we&#039d need a way to tell IIS or the OS how to handle the file without an extension by updating the registry. And also configuring IIS so it knows what to do with a "/" after the ASP file.<BR>Thanks for your help.

Ed Guest

Default RE: Path info

I don&#039t know if you can do this... how would the Web server know that applications is an ASP page and not a directory? When you have a URL like:<BR><BR><BR><BR>Is accounting an ASP page in the /applications/business directory? Is business an ASP page in the applications directory? Or is applications an ASP page in the root directory? How is the Web server supposed to know the answer to this?<BR><BR>I&#039ve seen sites that do something like that, beats the hell outta me how they do it, though...

Jeffery M. Guest

Default RE: Path info

In the path:<BR> ,<BR>"applications" would be an ASP page or some other application under IIS, and "business/accounting" would be a name/value pair. Sort of like in the GET and POST methods but without using the traditional ? and = characters. I would like to use this to get the parameters and retrieve content from a database to generate html on the fly without actually having a bunch of directories and default.asp pages all over the place.<BR>I know that Windows and IIS need to have a file extension to figure out associations. Perhaps it&#039s something in the IIS settings I don&#039t know about or maybe something in the global.asa files? I am looking all over the web and also in ASP/IIS books. So far, no luck.