Connecting to database on different machine proble

Thread: Connecting to database on different machine proble

Becky Guest

Default Connecting to database on different machine proble

I have an asp page that needs to connect to a database that is on a different machine when the page is in it&#039s final "home." Currently, the page can access a database that is on the same machine as the asp code, so I know that my connection stuff is correct, just not on another machine. Here&#039s the error I&#039m getting <BR><BR>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file &#039(unknown)&#039. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data. <BR><BR>I&#039m working with a test file that nobody else could have known about and therefore wouldn&#039t be using. Plus, I can get to the file from Access, I just can&#039t get the asp code to open it. Also, I&#039m opening the code in read-only mode, so it shouldn&#039t really matter if someone else has it open. I think it&#039s a permissions thing, but I&#039m not really sure what to change. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Default RE: Connecting to database on different machine pr

It&#039s the old IUSR_machinename problem. (That&#039s the default name for your browser.) If you look up your machine name and give that user access to the directory and file, you will be able to open it. This is probably impractical if you want to access the database from more than a couple of machines. It&#039ll be a lot easier if you can move your data base to the web server.