HTTP 500 - Internal server error

Thread: HTTP 500 - Internal server error

Joey Guest

Default HTTP 500 - Internal server error

Hello All,<BR><BR>I just spent the past 5 hours of my life dealing with this error<BR> <BR>HTTP 500 - Internal server error Internet Explorer<BR><BR>In that time I had searched all over the Internet and did not find out much on resolving this problem. I had seen everything from reboot the server, to permission settings. Well I just wanted to come back to this discussion board and post the answer to the problem I was having this might not help every one due to the HTTP 500 error could arise from many diferent things. So on to the problem.<BR><BR>Recently on my server I had an upgrade to Windows 2000. On after that I was recieving the dreaded HTTP 500 - Internal server error. What I have found out in my case is that I had some small errors in some of my pages due to making a few changes to them but instead of receiving the error messages that I am acustom to such as:<BR><BR>Microsoft VBScript runtime error &#039 800a000d&#039 <BR><BR>Type mismatch: &#039Cint&#039 <BR><BR>However I was not receiving these errors it was just taking me to the HTTP 500 - Internal server error page and not the specific messages that tell me what happened with the page. So I just tested the pages on my computers PWS and once they started working I sent them up to my server and everything was good to go. It really does stink not getting usual error messages cause it make debugging a really tuff job.<BR><BR>Once I get to the bottom of why it is taking me to the HTTP 500 - Internal server error page I will post it hear so everyone can know the reason why. My guess is with the upgrade to 2000 it must of changed some of the default settings. I knew everything wouldn&#039t go perfect with the upgrade.<BR><BR>Just wanted to try and help someone out. If anyone else has had experience with HTTP 500 - Internal server error please post it here so we can all gain from others experiences.<BR><BR>Have a Happy!<BR><BR>Joey

thermans Guest

Default RE: HTTP 500 - Internal server error

You can control this setting in IIS MMC. <BR>Open it up and go to the properties of the web application you are having problems with.<BR>Click on the configuration button on the directory tab. <BR>There will be a tab which say App Debugging. This allows you to send detailed messages to the client.<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR>

Joel M Guest

just in case this was the problem...there is a setting in IE that will cause this generic error with any ASP error message that pops can check it by going to:<BR><BR>tools &#124 Internet Options...<BR>then click on the "Advanced" tab of the internet properties and make sure that there is no check next to "show friendly HTTP error messages"<BR><BR>hope it helps,<BR>Joel<BR>

Joey Guest

Thank you so much! You have just made my life alot easier.<BR><BR>I don&#039t understand why it all of a sudden started taking me to those error pages instead of the default ones. We had an upgrade on our server to 2000 but I did not change any setting on my computer.<BR><BR>Well thanks for the awesome tip!<BR><BR>Joey