DDE from IE5 to WinWord97

Thread: DDE from IE5 to WinWord97

Greg Gillis Guest

Default DDE from IE5 to WinWord97

I am currently using ACT! as my contact manager which has links via DDE to several word documents. I have the documents set to automatically update the links when the word document is opened. I have just finished an online customer tracking system using an Access97 database and ASP. What I want to do is lookup a customer in the online database using IE5 and have my word documents automatically update when opened as they currently do with ACT!. I can&#039t for the life of me find any information on if this is even possible.<BR>Any help is appreciated.<BR><BR>The field codes in the word document look like this:<BR>{dde ACTWIN3 DATABASE Name * mergeformat}<BR>

Default RE: DDE from IE5 to WinWord97

I would probably need more info on this one, so a few questions.<BR><BR>What is really being updated? Do your word documents track the history of hits to the database? If that is the case, there are a few alternatives that might be better. For starters, you can dynamically created a word document with CreateObject("Word.Document") and dump data to it from ASP.<BR><BR>The big question is Push or Pull - I think applications that are tracking in nature tend to push the data out, rather than have the target pull the data in.<BR><BR>Also, the use of DDE could be questioned. ODBC is much better for what you are doing, as far as I can tell.