Thread: ASP vs. COM

Tobias Magnusson Guest

Default ASP vs. COM

The company that I currently work for develops all websites inside VB com components. There is only one asp page, and that is the start page that creates the com object. After that point the entire site is inside a com component. There is only two main components, one to hold global variables and the other one is the html/asp pages. Is this a good way to write web-sites, or is it better to write it in asp and only use com when needed for business rules and/or datbase access? The main component is 500kb and the global variable component is 48kb on one of the projects. Is this good or bad practice? What about performance whith multiple users?

SteveC Guest

Default RE: ASP vs. COM

They have all the html displayed using Response.Write&#039s in a COM object? I&#039d hate to have to keep recompiling a dll over and over to change a typo or something, and talk about version tracking.<BR><BR>Secondly, I try and break components down to the most generic possible. If it can be used somewhere else, it&#039s its own object (such as error logging). I find it easier to manage generic components than having one big COM object... it&#039s easier for me to change and keep track of versions.<BR><BR>Third, I write all my own COM and ASP, and I tend to like the speed of COM over interpreted code. But, like I said, I keep my objects generic enough that different clients can use the same object, only with different properties set (scalibility).<BR><BR>The way you can accomplish this is have the COM object return "OK" or an error, and then have ASP interpret your results, instead of returning something specific. I like this way better than having the whole thing inside one object. Maybe there&#039s a proprietary issue why your company is doing this.