Why use Stored Procedures ?

Thread: Why use Stored Procedures ?

Sune Pedersen Guest

Default Why use Stored Procedures ?

Hi folks, my boss wants that we delete all our stored procedures and the achieve the same in a different way ! <BR><BR>I dont think thats any good, but can you help me convincing him, i need real good arguments and links to articles if possible!<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Best regards<BR>Sune Pedersen

Garth Guest

Default RE: Why use Stored Procedures ?

1. Execution plan re-use can increase performance.<BR><BR>2. Security is easier to implement when stored procedures are used to perform all data manipulation.<BR><BR>3. Centralization of code makes long-term maintenance easier.<BR><BR>4. Client-side code is much cleaner using stored procedures versus SQL Passthrough.<BR><BR>The book: Inside SQL Server 7, is generally considered the bible when it comes to explaining SQL Server internals. Maybe you should buy your boss a copy and let him read it what the experts have to say about stored procedures.<BR><BR>Garth<BR>www.SQLBook.com

Sune Pedersen Guest

My boss thinks its easier to debug when having all the code cantralized !<BR><BR>Also we dont know the differences in the performance using normal selects versus stored procedures!

As far as I know the performance increase if because<BR><BR>a) SQL Server does not need to parse the SQL as this was done when the procedure was created.<BR><BR>b) A query plan can be saved, that is the optimiser works out the &#039best&#039 order to execute the query and remembers it.