Excel > Access using ASP

Thread: Excel > Access using ASP

Chris Clarke Guest

Default Excel > Access using ASP

Our current system involves people from nine locations filling out a log file using Excel throughout the day. We would like to move this to a web based system, using Access or SQL Server. I would like to do this by getting the sites to submit their Excel files to an online ASP application every day which takes the excel file and imports the data into the database, much the same way that "Get External Data &#062; Import" works in access, (and the TransferSpreadsheet action in VB).<BR><BR>My question is:<BR><BR>1) Is this at all feasible in ASP?<BR>2) Does anyone know of a tutorial/article I can read for reference, or does anyone know of any methods/code that can transfer data from Excel to a db??<BR><BR>Thanks

Default RE: Excel > Access using ASP

Yes, it is feasible. I am running quite a similar system right now using ASP.<BR>You&#039ll need to 2 do things:<BR>1. Upload the Excel files. You could have the users ftp them but then you&#039d have to schedule the import process; you want real-time so upload them. There are a couple of good articles here on 4guys about file uploads and probably in the Messageboard FAQ.<BR>2. Get the data out of Excel. There is an article in the Messageboard FAQ here on 4guys; also check out 15seconds.com for more articles.<BR>Good luck

Default RE: Excel > Access using ASP

This can certainly be done. You could use a COM component to read the data in the Excel file (using an Excel.Application object) and write the data to your database. This assumes, though, that your Excel file format is fairly static. I have done something similar, only in reverse. I took data from a database and put it in a Excel file in order to generate nice Excel charts for exporting to GIFs. I have some code if you are interested. It&#039s not exactly what you are doing, but it should be close enough for you to get the gist of how it works. If you are interested in the code, email me at newmangl@yahoo.com and I will send it to you.<BR><BR>Good Luck,<BR>Greg