Easy seach question

Thread: Easy seach question

Yepnab Guest

Default Easy seach question

I am writting a seach page that seaches certain fields in my database. The problem is that when a user opens the page it automatically queries that database bringing all of the information from the sql that i wrote. How do i prevent this?? So that the page only opens up with links and the input form.

Default RE: Easy seach question

I&#039m not sure what you mean. Do you want the page only to show search results according to the what a user entered on an input screen?:<BR>pg1.asp has input options, which are submitted to pg2.asp<BR>pg2.asp shows the results matching the users selections<BR>? - If this isn&#039t what you meant, code samples would be helpful.<BR>

yeps Guest

Correct, I only want what the user inputs

Ok - just test to see if the user entered anything into the form fields. If not, don&#039t add it to the sql statement:<BR>dim sql<BR>sql="SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE "<BR>&#039 Start the sql statement<BR>if request("field1")&#060;&#062;"" then<BR>sql=sql & "(col1=" & request("field1") & ") AND"<BR>end if<BR>&#039 If the user entered info in the field, add it to the query<BR>if request("field2")&#060;&#062;"" then<BR>sql=sql & "(col2=" & request("field2") & ") AND"<BR>end if<BR>&#039 do this as many times as you want & execute<BR>&#039 Make sure you have no dangling ANDs<BR>dbconn.execute(sql)