DTC and transactions between Windows 2000 and NT4

Thread: DTC and transactions between Windows 2000 and NT4

Default DTC and transactions between Windows 2000 and NT4

I am running IIS 5 on a Windows 2000 Professional machine(a developer machine), connecting to a SQL Server 7 database server running on NT4 Server, SP4.<BR><BR>However, if I place an asp page in a transaction (e.g. transaction=requires_new), I get a DTC error when trying to load the page:<BR><BR><BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x8004D00A)<BR>[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Distributed transaction error<BR><BR><BR>Microsoft support recommended checking the versions of the DTC&#039s for any DTC problems. The version of DTC on the Windows 2000 machine is 3.00, and on the NT machine it is 2.00. I did install a copy of SQL Server 2000 on the Windows 2000 workstation to see what&#039s new. However, I cannot see why a Windows 2000 web server should not be compatible with an NT4, SQL7 database server. Has anyone gotten this combination to work, and did you have to install anything special? Or, on Windows 2000, are you running a different version of the DTC?<BR><BR>Thanks to anyone who can help....<BR><BR>James<BR><BR>

Default RE: DTC and transactions between Windows 2000 and

Pure speculation, but this could be happening because under Win2K transactions are a feature of COM+, whereas under NT4 they&#039re handled by MTS. There&#039s definitely a differnce between the DTC versions, but I have no idea if what you want to do is possible - one would hope it is!<BR><BR>Dunc