Banging my head against NT Permissions

Thread: Banging my head against NT Permissions

Default Banging my head against NT Permissions

Ok, I&#039m not sure this is the right forum to post this in, but here goes. I&#039m having trouble accessing an Access97 database. I&#039m connecting via a system DSN, but everytime I attempt to connect, I get this error:<BR><BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error &#039 80004005&#039 <BR><BR>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file &#039(unknown)&#039. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.<BR><BR>Ok, so I&#039m not MCSE or anything, so I looked up the error in the Microsoft Knowledge Base. Here&#039s the solution they propose:<BR><BR>"If the page is meant to be accessed anonymously, give the IUSR_&#060;machinename&#062; account full control to the ASP page, and the folder and files where the database is located. Additionally, if the path to the database is being referenced using UNC (\ServerShare), ensure that the Share Permissions allow the IUSR_&#060;machinename&#062; account full access. This step applies even if the share is on the local Web server. <BR><BR>If the page has been secured such that the IUSR_&#060;machinename&#062; can&#039t access the file or database, then ensure that the user&#039s account that is being authenticated has full control to the appropriate folders and files. <BR><BR>At a minimum, the account being used needs Create, Destroy, Read, Write to work with the .ldb file. Specific permission can be applied to the database to limit access."<BR><BR>We want the page to be accessed anonymously. No one anywhere has the database open. Full permission rights have been given to the IUSR account in the directory that the database is stored in. Here&#039s the twist: The database is a linked database. Do I have to give full access to both databases that are linked, and which one should I be calling in the system DSN. The database design is kind of screwy, and the guy who designed it doesn&#039t work here anymore. I don&#039t know that much about linked databases, as you can tell. If anyone can be of any help, I&#039d greatly appreciate it. Been stressing over this stupid thing for a few days now...<BR>~Gav

Markkk Guest

Default RE: Banging my head against NT Permissions

Q1: Does the database link to another databse on the web server, or to a databse on some other server on the network?<BR><BR>If linked to another server on the network, you probably have NTFS permission problems. Keep in mind that the IUSR_MachineName Account is a local account only to the web server, not a domain account for other servers on the network.<BR><BR>The IUSR_MachineName Account, by default, can not gain access to resources (e.g. datbases) on other servers on the network. So, if the database is trying to link (connect) to another database on the network, the other database server will not recognize the IUSR_MachineName account of the web server. There are work arounds to this problem; checkout Microsoft&#039s site on System security issues for IIS.<BR>-----------------------------------------------------------<BR>Q2: Does a locking file exist when no database connections are present?<BR><BR>The locking file for Access databases have been known to get corrupted; thereby preventing any asp applications from connecting to them. If a locking file exists when no web activity or Access users are using the database then you probably have a corrupted locking file. Try deleting the locking file. Chances are you won&#039t be able to (even when you attempt to Take Ownership of the file), so you will have to do a system reboot. A reboot generally will kill (delete) the corrupted locking file.<BR><BR>The cause of this corrupted locking file is unknown to me. Access is not a worthy database for high traffic web apps. You are probably better to use a more robust enterprise type database like SQL Server, Oracle, etc.<BR><BR>I hope this helps.