Best way ??

Thread: Best way ??

EvE Guest

Default Best way ??

I was a normal (non-web) applications programmer - and find it difficult to see the best way to do certain things with ASP that I would easily have handled in a normal applications.<BR>For example, if you have a form with employee details (detail maintenance screen in other words)<BR>1) What would be the best way to handle the validation? <BR> I would have to go to another *.asp file, do checks there,<BR> come back to my old one (not even sure how) and leave a <BR> message. When in fact, I just want to check the fields on <BR> the original form and put my cursor where the problem is.<BR>2) What are the issues surrounding ActiveX controls for problems<BR> like these. Wouldn&#039t that be an even safer solution, say <BR> for a login application or so?<BR>3) Would it be possible for me to put my "actions", say <BR> "Insert", "Edit" and "Update" in a seperate frame and just <BR> change the asp files as reuqired?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance. <BR>

Default RE: Best way ??

Validating is not a big deal. you could validate using javascript which runs in the client machine. <BR><BR>Other wise as you told you can use activex controls which will connect to the datatbase thru some com objects. in this case we&#039ve to be careful about the connection drops in the net. If this happens the connection will still be open. which is now a major problem.<BR><BR>It is possible to put your actions in one frame and according to the cahnge you can call the sorresponding asp file in other frames.<BR><BR>Suraj

You want to create COM classes to do alot of the thinking in your web apps. This way you can leverage much of your existing app programming skills in a web environment.<BR>For example,<BR>create a login object in asp and <BR>then call the login.validateData method<BR>then call the login.authenticate method<BR><BR>the object can find where the problem is and return any info you need. like the exact location of the problem.<BR><BR>If you want to keep everything in vb/j-script you way want to look into script components. These offer the object interface of compiled com objects but the source is script. Check it at msdn.microsoft.com/scripting

EvE Guest

Thank you for your inputs. At least I have something to work from now ;-)<BR><BR>Regards<BR>Yvette Fouché