Session State is lost when using Framesets and Win

Thread: Session State is lost when using Framesets and Win

Chris Berberian Guest

Default Session State is lost when using Framesets and Win

I&#039m experiencing problems with losing session variables when either opening new browswer windows with window.open jscript or when using framesets. I found some technical articles on Microsoft&#039s site explaining some of the issues with session state with regards to framesets and new windows but I was looking for some more practical advice and information on this problem

Default RE: Session State is lost with window.open

window.open-ings<BR>Netscape uses a single session variable for all the windows, so the challenge is IE.<BR><BR>If you want to maintain Session with window.open in IE,you can use script on your default.htm page to pop a new window (this new window should be the one to call an asp page and thus create the session; forget about the other page).<BR>Subsequent window.open should create windows with the same sessionID.<BR>To see what is happening write the SessionID to the browser on each of your pages.<BR>If you pay close attention you can see where IE creates a new session.<BR><BR>RE:<BR>I&#039m experiencing problems with losing session variables when either opening new browswer windows with window.open jscript or when using framesets. I found some technical articles on Microsoft&#039s site explaining some of the issues with session state with regards to framesets and new windows but I was looking for some more practical advice and information on this problem

Default RE: Session State is lost when using Framesets and

Session state is lost when opening new windows because the &#039Browse In A New Process&#039 option is enabled. <BR>For IE, the Internet Options Advanced tab is where to check - if the box is checked, it will kill your session every time a new window is opened.<BR>Practical advice to deal with the problem - either pass what you need as a querystring to the new window OR test for the session variable and when it is missing, send the user a message telling them to turn the Browse in a new Process off. The latter of course, will get potential customers to leave very quickly.<BR>