SQL help please

Thread: SQL help please

Jon Guest

Default SQL help please

Hello,<BR><BR> Here is my problem. I have 2 tables one with a group of id&#039s, another with a group of notes with the id&#039s associated with them. how can i write a sql statement for access that counts the total number of notes per id and returns them with the id name.<BR><BR>Thanks!

Default RE: SQL help please

There are several ways of doing this. Here is one.<BR><BR>Create a query in Access that combines the two tables or write a SQL statement that joins the two tables. Make sure that you order by ids<BR><BR>Then you loop through the recordset using a counter to count how many times that you have gone through the loop. When the id changes you know that you are done with that ID. Display whatever information that you want, reset the counter to zero and continue on. <BR><BR>Here is some sample code to get you started.<BR><BR>rst.open "Select * from qryname Order by ID"<BR>If not rst.eof then<BR>TempID = rst("ID")<BR>Counter = 0<BR><BR>Do while not rst.eof<BR> If TempID = rst("ID") Then<BR> Counter = Counter + 1<BR><BR>else<BR> write out whatever you want to<BR> counter = 0<BR> TempID=rst("ID")<BR>End If<BR>rst.movenext<BR>Loop<BR>End If<BR><BR>Hope this helps get you started.<BR><BR>Dennis<BR><BR>