CDONTS Trouble

Thread: CDONTS Trouble

Max P. Guest

Default CDONTS Trouble

&nbsp;<BR>Hello there --<BR><BR>on my development machine, I made an ASP page that emails a confirmation email to each user that fills out a form. It worked fine. Then I moved the identical code to the real server. The program still works in every respect , and does not give errors, however, it no longer sends the confirmation email.<BR><BR>Why do you think this would be? I have never had a problem with CDONTS before -- although this is the first time I have used it on this particular server.<BR><BR>Thank you,<BR><BR>Max P.

Default RE: CDONTS Trouble

Probably a problem with the configuration of the SMTP service. Double check that it&#039s started and capable of sending mail before you worry about your ASP script.<BR><BR>Dunc

Cuong Guest

Check your SMTP settings and also check whether Exchange Server is running on that machine.<BR>

Markkk Guest

If everything works properly on your developmental server then your CDO/ASP script is definitely have a server setting problem with your production server.<BR><BR>Make sure that your SMTP server is properly setup on the production server. If you have to, make sure that all the SMTP settings on the developmental server are exactly the same with the production server.<BR><BR>Also, make sure that proper NTFS permissions are given to allow IIS (usually IUSR_MachineName for Anonymous Authentication, or Authenticated Account Name) to WRITE to the "MailRootPickup" directory. If NTFS doesn&#039t allow IIS to write to the "MailRootPickup\" directory, then no email will ever be sent or passed to the SMTP server.<BR><BR>If you find that your emails end up in the "MailrootBadMail\" directory, then you know that your CDO/ASP is properly communicating with the SMTP server. In such a case, you have an SMTP server setting problem, not an ADO or NTFS permission problem.<BR><BR>If you find no messages in the "MailRootBadMail\" directory, and no messages are ever received by the email recipients, then chances are that you have NTFS permission problems with IIS and the SMTP server.<BR><BR>Also, if your web server runs a third party SMTP server (other than the SMTP server that cpomes with NT), you may be running into conflicts by trying to run two different SMTP servers on the same web server. You may be limited by running only one (1) SMTP server per web server. the CDO Mail components tailor nicely with the SMTP server provided by NT40, not necessarily with third party SMTP servers. Consult your web server admin people if this is the case. If you are using a third party SMTP server, you may investigate the need of buying a third party email component for ASP.<BR><BR>I hope this helps.